Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb freezer jam!

my grandma carlita has a rhubarb plant that has been growing for over 20 years! And of course everything gets better with age, so this year the rhubarb produced in mass proportions! so grandma invited me over to help her put it to good use! My first jamming experience ever was created with the help of the fantastic summer classic, Rhubarb....
nothing beats homemade jam!
here is what you need,

containers, I used Tupperware
 1 2oz box pectin
4 cups sugar
4 cups strawberries and rhubarb
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp butter ***

 1. begin by slicing your rhubarb into bite size squares.  you will need enough for 4 cups.  after you have your rhubarb ready start slicing your strawberries into fourths.  again you'll need enough for 4 cups, (which ended up for me, two containers of strawberries.)  once your strawberries are cut put them in a larger container and start mashing them until all the strawberries are blended. (there can be some lumps.)
 2. in a separate bowl pour out your four cups of sugar so it will be ready to dump in when your fruit starts to boil.
 3. pour your strawberries, rhubarb, pectin, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp butter into your pot and stir constantly on high until the mixture comes to a rabid boil that you can NOT stir down.  *** the 1/2 tsp butter is a trick, it help keep the jam from getting frothy, a little wisdom from my gradma!

 4. once the jam is boiling pour in your pre-counted, 4 cups of sugar! and continue stirring on high until the jam again comes to a boil.
5. once the jam has begun to boil again, time it for ONE MINUTE, while constantly stirring at a rapid boil.(it will splash on you so watch out!) and then remove from heat and let stand. there may be a titch of froth on the top of the jam, gradma just grabbed a small ladle and skimmed it off the top, but the butter really did keep it to a minimum. 
6. after a half hour or so you can pour the jam into your containers, but do not put the lids on them, or place them in the freezer until they are cool. sealing them or freezing them to soon will make your jam runny!
one round of jam for me made, 8 containers worth of jam. but this is probably depending on your container size!
also note that when you go to buy pectin, make sure the box is 2 oz. not 1.75 oz, because your jam will be slightly runnier.  I for one did not know that pectin came in different amounts.

1 comment:

  1. I just made a batch, Delicious!! I don't like any chunks in my jam so I blended up the fruit to a nice smoothie texture then measured out four cups of each, and with the leftover blended fruit, I made myself a little smoothie! YUM!

    ReplyDelete